Friday, July 27, 2012

Do It Yourself: Crazy Coffee Table Re-Do


Before:

 
1. I stripped the black latex paint off of the table's top surface. (Before I began this process, I spray painted the bottom portion of the table using Krylon's Indoor/Outdoor Paint in Ivy Leaf.

2.  I used my 5" Random DeWALT Orbit Sander (and 120 grit sandpaper) to remove the rest of the finish and to get the wood back to it's original state.
Then I used some electrical tape to make some crazy lines.  I got the idea after someone pinned Maria Teorien's blog post on tape painting.
3.  Before I stain anything I always use Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner.  It penetrates the grain of the wood and promotes uniform acceptance of the stain.  It also helps with blotching and spotting, which are the two main things I worry about when staining anything. 
I waited 15 minutes, and then rubbed the surface with Minwax® Wood Finish in Golden Pecan.  I used two coats and then peeled away the tape.  You can wait for it to dry if you like, but I personally do not think it matters.  Plus, I could not wait!

5.  Once it was all dry, I painted the edges using a burnt orange acrylic paint.  Last but not least, to protect it, I used Minwax® Wipe-On Poly.  I love this stuff because it has to be the easiest way out there to apply a protective finish.  You just wipe it on with a cloth, this way you dont have to worry about drips or brush marks.

TA-DAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

 After:
 

(I also used steel wool to add a distressed look to the edges of the table)


No comments:

Post a Comment